Do you struggle to CHANGE DIAPERS when you are in CROWDED OUTDOORS without your car and no visible restroom in vicinity? Well, let me tell you what helped us in a crowded Mumbai area.
So as we know, there are not many clean public restrooms here in Mumbai where a woman can comfortably pee, let alone change her kid’s diapers!
We went to Mumbai’s Byculla Zoo (Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan And Zoo) yesterday and decided to take public transport🚇🚍 instead of our car. All was fine until the super humidity in afternoon (it finally rained last evening) and sweating resulted in excessive water intake. Well, we had to change her sweat soaked clothes and diaper (before it was too late).
For those who are being judgemental and wondering why my 3.5 years old daughter is out in diapers, please visit the washrooms / public toilets in Mumbai and tell me how can you make your child sit there.
The wet and stinky floors of the zoo washrooms were definitely not an option. There was no time to head to a mall (the obvious choice for a little cleaner restroom). And that’s when this mom’s brain came to action. We found a small but clean restaurant nearby that had a little family area kinda partition. Don’t judge me, a mom needs to do what she needs to do! Since it was non-peak hour, it didn’t have customers. We ordered some tea and all and requested the manager if we could change her clothes and diaper in the area behind the partition. He obliged and I felt we met an angel! Thankfully, my kid is a little older now so the change could be managed with her standing. We had a disposal bag handy, we remember to always leave with that though I now realize I should always carry a dupatta or large scarf so that I can use it to create a covered area when we go in little crowded outdoors. I still have no idea what I would have done if she had done the bigger business!
So if you are stuck in a crowded area and must change the baby’s diaper in privacy, try this:
1. Carry all the necessary changing things including a few disposal bags and wipes.
2. Carry a large dupatta / sheet so that if need be you can just make a covered area to change in privacy.
3. Restaurant is definitely not a good choice for diaper change but whatever works in emergency.
4. If you can wait, just take a cab and head to the nearest mall.
5. Hope / pray that the authorities will soon create child-friendly public restrooms 🚻 If you are someone who can bring about this change or are a celebrity, please help make our city a comfortable place for kids.
Moms and dads in this situation, don’t panic, you’ll always find a solution!
Please share to help other parents in similar situation.